Original Site of First Christian Church,
111 N. Second St, Smithfield, NC
Our Current location,
1001 S Crescent Drive Smithfield, NC
First Christian Church, Smithfield began as a mission project of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in North Carolina. In 1943, fourteen local families desired to be in a Disciples congregation in Smithfield. So on May 23, 1943, these and others gathered for the first time in the chapel of Overby’s Funeral Home.
This new Disciple fellowship continued to meet regularly at Overby’s until the local Presbyterian congregation decided to build a new facility and offered their old building for sale to the Disciples. In January of 1946, the Disciples began purchasing the former Presbyterian church building.
By 1947, the Disciples fellowship was ready to take the all-important step of officially becoming a church. In April of that year, 20 persons moved their membership to First Christian Church of Smithfield. The church minutes read, “ Twenty people came into the church, two by primary obedience, the others being members of Christian Churches in other places and moving their membership. At last after four years, we feel that we can call ourselves a church. We Thank God for it.” (Mrs. T.G. Reynolds, Secretary)
In 1958, the site for a new building to house the growing congregation was selected in South Smithfield. By December 25, 1960, a cold but joyful Christmas Day, the congregation was ready to break ground. As they celebrated the birth of the Saviour, pastor Billy Bennett led the congregation in breaking ground to celebrate the birth of a new church home.
On September 10, 1961, the first unit of the new church facility was dedicated. The mortgage for the unit was burned on Homecoming Sunday in 1968.
On March 23, 1975, First Christian was ready to dedicate its new sanctuary. As Rev. Adams presided, the congregation filled the pews and offered the walls of wood and stone to the honor and glory of God.
In 1997, First Christian celebrated its 50th anniversary with services led by our first Timothy, Patrician Hinson Harris. It was a Homecoming celebration yet to be unmatched!
In 2001, we are growing once again with our latest addition of a larger fellowship hall, kitchen, and two Sunday School classrooms. We can hardly believe that we completed this building project without any outside financing. The new building was dedicated Homecoming Sunday, 2001 and as we stand in these walls, we know that the presence of the Lord is at work among us once again! Grow on First Christian!!
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.